Hurricane Season is upon us! So I wanted to share an emergency prep post. Hurricane season in the southern US is June to November and I always like to refresh my supplies for the new season.
Natural Emergency Prep is stocking up your home for a hurricane or winter storm, really anything that could stop you from leaving your home for days or even a few weeks.
Below are links to government weather information:
- National Weather Service
- National Hurricane Preparedness | National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (noaa.gov)
When there is a warning, decide if you are going to stay or evacuate:
- How at risk are you at your home - flood and utility loss risk
- Research and consider local shelter access/procedures and pet care
- Decide where you would go to evacuate and how you'd get there and back home - especially the costs associated (gas and lodging)
- Plan what the minimum items you are taking and how you will transport them easily
- Food, water, shelter items, pet supplies, documents
- Collect enough supplies for your family for 2 weeks minimum
- Food, Sanitary Products & Water
- Canned and dry goods, pet food, hot plate/gas or coal grill - always have on hand
- all groups breakfast, canned milk, meat, veggies, soup, crackers etc.
- Paper products (eating, cooking, cleaning, esp. baby wipes), toiletries, garbage bags, bug spray,
- Home water filter and collapsible 5-gallon water containers - fill a day ahead of disaster
- First aid and medical considerations
- Necessary medication - consider refrigerated medication
- First aid kit and book - HSA eligible
- Power & Communication
- Power bank, solar panels, small solar lights
- Flashlights/lanterns and batteries
- Matches and candles/tea lights
- Generator - compact ones that can use multiple fuel sources are worth it!
- Additional Notes
- Important documents in an easy to access binder (passports/birth certificates etc.)
Florida Tax Holidays: use tax holidays to save on supplies, shopping for shelf goods at discount or wholesale stores also helps
Amazon Affiliated Links to Products in my Emergency Kit:
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases via the links above - Thank you!!